This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Herd health management
Farm animal diseases
Veterinary Public Health
Dr. Athanasios Gelasakis is an assistant professor of Farm Animal Diseases at the laboratory of Anatomy and Physiology, Department of Animal Science and Aquacultures, Agricultural University of Athens (May 2018-present).
He holds a Ph.D. in animal management, health and welfare from the School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, after receiving a scholarship from the Greek State Scholarship Foundation (Ι.Κ.Υ.) and a BSc from the same school. He received an MSc in Public Health from the National School of Public Health in Athens and he is a diplomate of the European College of Small Ruminant Health Management (Dipl. ECSRHM).
He has participated in more than 25 national and international research projects and has published as an author 36 publications in peer-reviewed journals, two book chapters, and more than 120 publications in conference proceedings.
He has extended experience in small ruminants’ diseases, health and welfare, husbandry, management and nutrition, and their association with productivity, and sustainability of farming systems. Also, his research interests include veterinary public health issues, epidemiology, and biostatistics in animal science.
1. Valergakis G.E., Gelasakis A.I., Oikonomou G., Basdagianni Z., Arsenos G. (2008). The feeding of rams on farms of the “Macedonia” Cooperative of Chios sheep breeders. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 59(4):346-356.
2. Gelasakis A.I., Valergakis G.E., Arsenos G. (2009) Predisposing factors of sheep lameness. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 60(1):63-74.
3. Valergakis G.E., Gelasakis A.I., Oikonomou G., Arsenos G., Fortomaris P., Banos G. (2010) Profitability of a dairy sheep genetic improvement program using artificial insemination. Animal, 4:1628-1633.
4. Gelasakis A.I., Arsenos G., Valergakis G.E., Fortomaris P., Banos G. (2010) The effect of lameness on milk production in a commercial flock of dairy sheep. Veterinary Record, 167:533-534.
5. Gelasakis Α.Ι., Valergakis G.E., Fortomaris P., Arsenos G. (2010) Farm conditions and production methods in Chios sheep flocks. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 61(2):111-119.
6. Arsenos G., Gelasakis A.I., Papadopoulos E. (2010) The status of Donkeys (Equus asinus) in Greece. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 61(3):212-219.
7. Gelasakis A.I., Arsenos G., Valergakis G.E., Oikonomou G., Kiossis E., Fthenakis G.C. (2012) Study of factors affecting udder traits and assessment of their interrelationships with milking efficiency in Chios breed ewes. Small Ruminant Research, 103:232-239.
8. Gelasakis A.I., Valergakis G.E., Arsenos G., Banos G. (2012) Description and typology of intensive Chios dairy sheep farms in Greece. Journal of Dairy Science, 95(6):3070-3079.
9. Gelasakis A.I., Arsenos G., Hickford J., Zhou H., Psifidi A., Valergakis G.E., Banos G. (2013) Polymorphism of the MHC-DQA2 gene in the Chios dairy sheep population and its association with footrot. Livestock Science, 153(1):56-59.
10. Gelasakis A.I., Oikonomou G., Bicalho R.C., Valergakis G.E., Fthenakis G.C., Arsenos G. (2013) Clinical characteristics of lameness and potential risk factors in intensive and semi-intensive dairy sheep flocks in Greece. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 64(2):123-130.
11. Gelasakis A.I., Arsenos G., Valergakis G.E., Banos G. (2015) Association of lameness with milk yield and lactation curves in Chios dairy ewes. Journal of Dairy Research, 82(2):193-199.
12. Gelasakis A.I., Mavrogianni V.S., Petridis I.G., Vasileiou N.G.C., Fthenakis G.C. (2015) Mastitis in sheep – The last ten years and the future of research. Veterinary Microbiology, 181(1-2):136-146.
13. Gelasakis A.I., Angelidis S.A., Giannakou R., Filioussis G., Kalamaki M.S., Arsenos G. (2016) Bacterial subclinical mastitis and its effect on milk yield in low-input dairy goat herds. Journal of Dairy Science, 99:3698-3708.
14. Lazou T., Fragkou F., Gelasakis A.I., Dovas C., Soultos N., Adamama-Moraitou K., Rallis T., Iossifidou E. (2016) Prevalence, antimicrobial resistance and risk factors for Campylobacter colonizing dogs and cats in Greece. Bulgarian Journal of Veterinary Medicine (DOI: 10.15547/bjvm.1003).
15. Gelasakis A.I., Rose G., Giannakou R., Valergakis G., Theodoridis A., Fortomaris P., Arsenos G. (2016) Typology and characteristics of dairy goat production systems in Greece. Livestock Science, 197:22-29.
16. Bramis G., Gelasakis A.I., Kiossis E., Banos G., Arsenos G., (2016) Predisposing factors and control of bacterial mastitis in dairy ewes. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, 67(4):213-224.
17. Symeonidou I., Gelasakis A.I., Arsenopoulos K.V., Schaper R., Papadopoulos E., (2017) Regression models to assess the risk factors of canine gastrointestinal parasitism. Veterinary Parasitology, 248:54-61.
18. Filioussis G., Theodoridis A., Papadopoulos D., Gelasakis A.I., Vouraki S., Bramis G., Arsenos G., (2017) Serological prevalence of Coxiella burnetii in dairy goats and ewes diagnosed with adverse pregnancy outcomes in Greece. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 24:4.
19. Boukouvala E., Gelasakis A.I., Kanata E., Fragkiadaki E., Giadinis N., Palaska V., Christoforidou S., Sklaviadis T., Ekateriniadou L., (2018) The association between 171K polymorphism and resistance against scrapie affection in Greek dairy sheep. Small Ruminant Research, 161:51-56.
20. Vouraki S., Gelasakis A.I., Rose I.J., Arsenos G. (2018) Risk factors of teat-end hyperkeratosis and its association with udder health in dairy ewes. Journal of Dairy Research, 85:44-49.
21. Gelasakis A.I., Giannakou R., Valergakis G.E., Fortomaris P., Kominakis A., Arsenos G., (2018) Prediction of sheep milk chemical composition using milk yield, pH, electrical conductivity and refractive index. Journal of Dairy Research, 85:78-82.
22. Simeonidou I., Gelasakis A.I., Arsenopoulos K.V., Angelou A., Beugnet F., Papadopoulos E., (2018) Feline gastrointestinal parasitism in Greece: Emergent zoonotic species and associated risk factors. Parasites and Vectors 11 (1).
23. Vouraki S., Gelasakis A.I., Alexandri P., Boukouvala E., Ekateriniadou L., Banos G., Arsenos G., (2018) Genetic profile of scrapie codons 146, 211 and 222 in the PRNP gene locus in three breeds of dairy goats. PLoS ONE 13(6), DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0198819.
24. Gelasakis A.I., Angelidis A.S., Giannakou R., Arsenos G., (2018) Bacterial subclinical mastitis and its effect on milk quality traits in low-input dairy goat herds. Veterinary Record, 183:449 DOI:10.1136/vr.104804
25. Montagnese C, Barattini P., Giusti A., Balka G., Bruno U., Bossis I. Gelasakis A.I., Bonasso M., Philmis P. Dénes L., Peransi S., Rodrigo M., Simón S., Griol A., Wozniakowski G., Podgorska K., Pugliese C., Nannucci L., D’Auria S., Varriale A., (2019) A Diagnostic Device for In-Situ Detection of Swine Viral Diseases: The SWINOSTICS Project, DOI: 10.3390/s19020407.
26. Kitkas G.C., Valergakis G.E., Kritsepi-Konstantinou M., Gelasakis A.I., Arsenos G., Kalaitzakis E., Panousis N. (2019) Effects of ruminal pH and subacute ruminal acidosis on milk yield and composition of Holstein cows in different stages of lactation (accepted for publication in Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society, ref. no 19431).
27. Manessis G, Gelasakis A.Ι., Bossis I. (2019) The challenge of introducing Point of Care Diagnostics in Farm animal Health. Biomedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research 14(5) DOI: 10.26717/BJSTR.2019.14.002601.
28. Vouraki S., Gelasakis A.I., Ekateriniadou L.V., Banos G., Arsenos G. (2019) Impact of polymorphisms at the PRNP locus on the performance of dairy goats reared under low-input pastoral farming systems. Small Ruminant Research, 174:77-82.
29. Angelou A., Gelasakis A.I., Verde N., Pantchev N., Schaper R., Chandrashekar R., Papadopoulos E. (2019) Prevalence and risk factors for selected canine vector-borne diseases in Greece. Parasites & Vectors, 12(283) DOI: 10.1186/s13071-019-3543-3.
30. Arsenopoulos K.V., Gelasakis A.I., Delistamatis V., Papadopoulos E. (2019) Evaluation of the pour-on administration of eprinomectin on milk yield and somatic cell counts in dairy ewes naturally infected with gastrointestinal nematodes. Veterinary Parasitology, Volume 2, 100016. DOI: 10.1016/j.vpoa.2019.100016.
31. Babetsa M., Boukouvala E., Gelasakis A.I., Papadopoulos A.I., Zdragas A., Ekateriniadou L.V. (2019) Detection of a Brucella Melitensis Rev1 Vaccine Strain and Rev1-Like Strains in Unvaccinated Small Ruminants and Aborted Fetuses. Open Access Journal of Veterinary Science and Medicine, 1:103.
32. Gelasakis A.I., Kalogianni A.I., Bossis I. (2019) Aetiology, Risk Factors, Diagnosis and Control of Foot-Related Lameness in Dairy Sheep. Animals, 9(8):509.
33. Lazou T., Iossifidou E.G., Gelasakis A.I., Chaintoutis S.C., Dovas C. (2019) Viability qPCR utilizing propidium monoazide, spheroplast formation and Campylobacter coli as a bacterial model. DOI:10.1128/AEM.01499-19.
34. Argyriadou A., Gelasakis A.I., Banos G., Arsenos G. (2019) Genetic improvement of indigenous Greek sheep and goat breeds. Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society (accepted for publication 26 October 2019).
35. Angelou A., Gelasakis A.I., Schnyder M., Schaper R., Papadopoulos E. (2020) The ‘French heartworm’ in Greece: A countrywide serological survey of Angiostrongylus vasorum infection by combined detection of circulating antigens and specific antibodies. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports, 19:100376. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vprsr.2020.100376.
36. Kalogianni A.I., Bossis I., Ekateriniadou L., Gelasakis A.I. (2020) Etiology, Epizootiology and Control of Maedi-Visna in dairy sheep: A Review. Animals, 10:616. DOI: 10.3390/ani10040616.